Introduction: Deep Dish Meatball Quiche
This Quiche is absolutely amazing! It's versatile enough to have for any meal of the day. My quiche stands out from others because it has meatballs and it's a deep dish. Most people tend to put bacon and tomato in theirs. That's perfectly fine too! I just wanted to be unique and try something different. Now quiche is technically a pie or what some may call a tart. It does not matter what you call it. I can say it's a meatball egg pie, but doesn't quiche have a more appealing sound? There are a lot of steps involved in making this, but don't worry...it's not only simple, but very worth it. You will be pleasantly surprised. Please enjoy this delicious colorful dish that is appropriate for any meal, and any season.
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Tools Needed:
- Mixing bowls
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- spoon & fork
- wood spatula
- wire whisk or beater
- saute pan
- deep pie dish
Step 2: Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1/2 C ice cold water
Step 3: Filling Ingredients:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 1/2 Cups zucchini (scoop out insides with spoon then cube)
- 1 Cup baby bella mushrooms (stemmed and sliced)
- 1/4 heaping Cup of diced onion
- 12 small cooked meatballs (homemade or froz. if using froz. please pre-heat)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
Step 4: Topping Ingredients:
- about 1/2 Cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 Cup shredded parmesan cheese
- about 1/4 cup sliced black olives (drained)
- 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of parsley flakes
Step 5: Make the Crust
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- mix together the flour and salt in a medium sized bowl using a fork
- in a separate bowl beat together the water and canola oil until thick
- add liquid mix to flour mix and stir with a fork until well blended (it will be sticky and moist)
- coat the pie dish with a light layer of non stick cooking spray and press the dough evenly into the bottom of the dish and partially up the sides. You might want a pair of food gloves or a baggy for this step.
- Put in the oven and bake about 15 minutes until the crust is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Step 6: Saute the Veggies
- Put the olive oil in the saute pan and heat over med-high until there is a shimmer, meaning it's hot enough.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and onion.
- stir with the wooden spatula until tender but not brown.
- remove from heat and set aside
Step 7: Whip the Eggs
- Add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium size mixing bowl
- using a beater or a whisk, whip egg mixture until smooth
Step 8: Layer Your Quiche
- With the oven presumably set at 375 degrees layer your quiche in the following order: (use pictures as a guide if needed)
- half of the shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 12 meatballs, spread out evenly
- zucchini, mushroom, onion mixture spread evenly
- the rest of the shredded mild cheddar cheese
- the egg mixture
- Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes the top will be a beautiful golden brown and you must check the center with a fork to make sure the egg is done.
- Leaving the oven on, take the quiche out and set it on a hot pad (be so careful it is extremely hot!)
Step 9: Topping Time
- Put the shredded parmesan cheese evenly over the quiche
- Sprinkle the parsley flakes evenly over top the cheese
- distribute the black olive slices around the outer edge of the pie.
- put back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is just melted, do not let it brown.
- Pull back out of the oven and set back on the hot pad. Turn the oven off.
- let the quiche cool for ten minutes
- Using the halved cherry tomatoes, create a Pi design referring to the pictures as a guide.
Step 10: Enjoy Your Delicious Quiche!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my recipe. I hope you have the chance to make it, or at least get inspired for your own awesome creation!
Participated in the