You've read it right, we are deep frying watermelon today!
Not only are we deep drying it, we are also adding a sugar glaze on top to make this the ultimate fruity indulgence!
The same technique can be applied to many other hard fruits (apple, pear, other melons)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Watermelon (using about 1/4 of a full sized melon)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp starch
- 2 tbsp flour
- vegetable oil
Step 2: Cutting
- First cut watermelon in half
- Cut vertically into 1 inch wide slices
- Use a fruit knife to carve out the peel
- Cut into 1 inch chunks
Step 3: Mixing the Batter
- mix egg with flour and starch, whisk thoroughly
- Dust watermelon flour to remove surface moisture
Step 4: Frying
- Add vegetable oil to pan or deep frying pot
- control oil temperature to around 105 Celsius
- Dip water melon chunk in to batter, and then transfer to the deep fryer
- fry each piece for 3 minutes or until batter is golden brown
Step 5: Sugar Glazing
- In a cooking pan on medium high heat, add about 4 tbsp of vegetable oil
- add 3-6 tbsp of sugar
- let the sugar melt and caramelize (it will transition from white to transparent, and then to brown)
- turn to max heat as you place the watermelon in to the pan, stir and mix until sugar has adhered to the fruit (very quick process, 2 minutes max).
Step 6: Plating
- In a warm plate, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable and spread in the plate to prevent sticking
- transfer deep fried and glazed watermelon from pan to plate
- serve and enjoy immediately.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017