Introduction: Deep Fried Watermelon With Sugar Glaze
You've read it right, we are deep frying watermelon today!
Not only are we deep drying it, we are also adding a sugar glaze on top to make this the ultimate fruity indulgence!
The same technique can be applied to many other hard fruits (apple, pear, other melons)
Step 1: Ingredients
- Watermelon (using about 1/4 of a full sized melon)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp starch
- 2 tbsp flour
- vegetable oil
Step 2: Cutting
- First cut watermelon in half
- Cut vertically into 1 inch wide slices
- Use a fruit knife to carve out the peel
- Cut into 1 inch chunks
Step 3: Mixing the Batter
- mix egg with flour and starch, whisk thoroughly
- Dust watermelon flour to remove surface moisture
Step 4: Frying
- Add vegetable oil to pan or deep frying pot
- control oil temperature to around 105 Celsius
- Dip water melon chunk in to batter, and then transfer to the deep fryer
- fry each piece for 3 minutes or until batter is golden brown
Step 5: Sugar Glazing
- In a cooking pan on medium high heat, add about 4 tbsp of vegetable oil
- add 3-6 tbsp of sugar
- let the sugar melt and caramelize (it will transition from white to transparent, and then to brown)
- turn to max heat as you place the watermelon in to the pan, stir and mix until sugar has adhered to the fruit (very quick process, 2 minutes max).
Step 6: Plating
- In a warm plate, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable and spread in the plate to prevent sticking
- transfer deep fried and glazed watermelon from pan to plate
- serve and enjoy immediately.