This apple pie is absolutely delicious, and fairly fool-proof.
Can also be made into cherry pie, berry pie, etc.
Recipe makes enough for a two-crust pie.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Gather Ingredients
2 1/2 C. Pastry flour
3/4 C. shortening
3/4 tsp. salt
8-10 Tbsp. ice water
6 C. prepared baking apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
3/4 C. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
To use on prepared crust:
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp sugar
Step 2: Step 2: Make Crust
1.Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl
2. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender (or two butter knives) until pea sized (see photo)
3. sprinkle 6 Tbsp of ice water over flour mixture, tossing lightly with fork.
4. Continue to add water a tablespoon at a time, using fork to press dough to the side of the bowl, until all is moistened.
5. Divide dough in half, and pat into balls.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Step 3: Step 3: Roll Out Crusts
1. clean your counters, and then use a wet washcloth to get your counters wet.
2. lay down plasticwrap on wet counters (the water helps it to stick).
3. roll out one ball of dough on plasticwrap, to form 12 inch circle. Extra flour isn't needed, unless dough is too sticky.
4. fold dough into quarters, place it into pie pan, and unfold.
5. repeat with other dough ball, for top crust. Use cookie cutters or a knife to cut shapes or slits to let steam escape.
Step 4: Step 4: Make Apple Filling
1. Mix together apples, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
2. Pour apple filling into bottom crust
3. Top filling with top crust.
Step 5: Step 5: Seal Crust
1. After top crust is on bottom crust, use kitchen shears or a sharp knife to cut the dough 1 inch from outside of pan. discard (or eat) extras.
2. Fold over extra 1 inch of dough, and pinch between your fingers to crimp the edge into shape.
3. Brush the top layer of crust with the 2 Tbsp of milk, and sprinkle the white sugar on top.
Step 6: Step 6: Wrap Crust
There are two ways to do this step:
Fold a 12 inch piece of aluminum foil into half. cut out a half-circle that is about 7 1/2 inches in diameter from the folded side, so that a 2-inch (approximately) rim is left. Unfold foil, and loosely mold over the edges of the pie.
Fold foil into a long 5-inch wide strip to wrap around the outside rim of the pie.
Either way, make sure the shiny side is out to deflect heat and prevent the burning of the crust.
(P.s.. sorry for the bad picture. the light reflection hated my camera.. which i'm pretty sure was dusty with flour by this point).
Step 7: Step 7: Bake Pie
1. Place pie in oven. Place cookie sheet under pie to catch any drips.
2. Bake pie in 425 degree oven for 35 minutes.
3. Remove foil from edge, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crust is brown and filling is bubbly.
Step 8: Step 8: Enjoy!!
Share your delicious pie with friends and family, or hoard it all for yourself to enjoy. Either way, this pie was meant to be eaten - especially if you have vanilla ice cream on hand. :)