Being originally from the West coast and now living in the East coast, I sure do miss the hole-in-the-wall Mexican fast food restaurants. I was really craving a California Burrito, but the only way I was going to be able to enjoy one over here was by making one myself...from scratch!
If you're not from an area that makes these burritos, I hope that with this recipe you learn to make your own and try a delicious new food, and at the same time learn a little Spanish/Español.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
Here are the basic ingredients you'll need to make your delicious California Burrito:
- Cheese/Queso (chedda' is betta'...see what I did there. ;-))
- Steak/Carne-ideally skirt or flank (back home I would buy Ranchera from the Carniceria=Meat Market)
- Flour Tortilla/Tortilla de Harina
- Sour Cream/Crema
Step 2: Preparation
How I get my ingredients ready:
• Wash them under the tap
• No need to peel them, just cut into fries shape
• Cut a small block and shred it using a grater or cut real thin slices with a knife/cuchillo
• Heat the oil in medium-high heat for a few minutes before adding the fries
• Cut the steak into small bite-size pieces
Step 3: Cooking Steak and Fries
Grill the steak for a few minutes to your liking and add salt or seasoning/sasonador to taste.
Cook the french fries/papas fritas until they're thoroughly cooked and golden colored.
Step 4: Heating the Tortilla
I used a comal that I brought back from California a few months ago.
If you don't have one, you can use a skillet or a shallow, thin pan.
The idea is to heat/calentar the flour tortilla so it's still pliable, but not too much otherwise it will get too crispy and will be difficult to roll your burrito.
Step 5: Assembling the Burrito!!! Mmm. Que Delicioso!
Assemble your California Burrito by adding the steak, french fries, cheese, and sour cream.
When you have all your ingredients/ingredientes on your tortilla, roll it into a burrito. Check out the video to see how I roll my burrito.