Introduction: Delicious Cockroaches
These cockroaches are sweet buns filled with Kahlua cream :D
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Dough
- 1/2 tbsp flax soaked in 1 tbsp water, set aside
- 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast, stirred into 125 ml lukewarm milk with 1 tbsp sugar added, set aside to bloom
- 250 g flour mixed with 30 g icing sugar and and generous pinch of Himalayan salt, mixed in a bowl
- 80 g vegan margarine, melted
- Mix in yeast and flax meal into flour mixture, stir with wooden spoon, then add in melted margarine, knead.Let rest, covered, for 30 mins, until doubled in size.
- Punch down and cut with oval cookie cutter.
- Make 2 horizontal slices as pictured, let rest for another 30 mins, then bake at preheated 350 F for 15-18 mins.
- Cool on rack.
Step 2: Kahlua Cream
- 1 c milk (cashew milk is best)
- 2 tsp Kahlua
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 c flour, diluted in a little milk
- 1/8 c cornstarch, diluted in a little milk
- Mix everything and bring to boil in medium high temp, til thicken
- Let slightly cool to room temperature, fill into piping bag
- Pipe into buns
Step 3: Making the Cockroach
- Pour filled buns with chocolate syrup (store bought or make your own, whichever)
- Chill in the fridge for 20 mins
- Meanwhile, melt some chocolate chips and pipe into antennas and legs. Chill until firm, 10-15 minutes
- Once buns are chilled, roll caramel candy (store bought or make your own, whichever) flat and cut into strips
- Lay strips on buns and push in antennas and legs as well
Step 4: Enjoy!
Participated in the
Halloween Contest 2018