Intro: Delicious Mexican Flan
Flan is a traditional Mexican dessert and it's just so delicious..! Please don't be intimidated by the looks of this recipe.It is easier than you think.
This dessert is so amazing,so rich and super creamy..! :)
There are many versions of flan...and this recipe is prized for its simplicity.
Mexican flan is slightly denser than the Spanish one.
If you've never made flan before,now is the time to try this. Trust me this flan is to die for...! :D
Step 1: Ingredients
- Eggs - 3 (full) + 1 egg yolk
- whole milk - 200 ml
- heavy cream - 200 ml
- sweetened condensed milk - 3/4th can
- granulated white sugar - 150 gm
- orange zest - 1 tsp
- fresh orange juice - 5 tbsp
- corn starch - 1 tsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- whipped cream (optional) - for garnishing
Step 2: Prepare the Caramel
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook stirring constantly, until the sugar melts and turns a golden amber color. it would take around 10 minutes.
- Watch carefully once syrup begins to change color, because it burns easily.
- carefully pour the caramel in into the flan molds.
- let cool.
Step 3: The Flan
- preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- pour whole milk, sweetened condensed milk,cream,eggs, egg yolk, orange juice, orange peel, vanilla extract, and cornstarch into a blender.
- pulse several times to incorporate all the ingredients together. and blend for a minute or so.
- pour the mixture over the cooled caramel in the flan molds.
- line a bigger microwave safe dish with a damp kitchen towel.
- place the flan molds on the kitchen towel ,inside the bigger dish.
- fill the dish with boiling water to reach halfway up the molds.
- bake in the preheated oven until the center of the flan is set but still slightly jiggly when moved.
- it will take around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let the flan cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, run a sharp paring knife around the inside of the mold to release the flan. Invert a plate on the mold, flip the mold over,and gently remove the mold to unmold the flan and reveal the syrupy caramel topping.
- OPTIONAL : top the flan with a dollop of whipped cream and caramel crystals.
Grand Prize in the
Mexican Food Contest