Introduction: Delicious Turkish Dish: Borek!
A perfect Turkish side dish to serve to guests and at big family dinners! I grew up eating this everyday after school and it is can also be eaten as a snack - especially perfect when it is accompanied with some tea!
It is simple yet very delicious and filling. It doesn't require any special ingredients or any cooking skills. Takes about an hour to prepare and cook. It is best when it is eaten fresh!
Feel free to watch the video to see what you'll be doing!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Get the Materials
All of these materials are available at any grocery store!
- A box of fillo dough sheets
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1.5 cup of milk
-1 cup of olive oil
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yoke
- 1 onion, 1 Italian parsley, 1/3 cup of chopped dill
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
Materials for cooking:
- Frying Pan
- Baking dish
- A knife and a spoon to stir
Step 2: Prep the Oven and the Fillo Dough Sheets
Preheat the oven to 345F and defrost the Fillo Dough Sheets
Step 3: Preparing the Filling - Chopping
- Chop the onions, dill and parsley
Step 4: Preparing the Filling- Sauteing
- Brown the onions in a frying pan and once they're browned, add the meat, the dill and the parsley. Stir until the meat is turned brown.
Set aside and let it cool.
Step 5: Preparing the Sauce
- In a bowl, add 3 eggs, the milk and the oil
Step 6: Making the Borek!
a- Layer a single dish of fillo dough in the baking dish
b- Brush the milk, egg and oil mixture onto fillo
- Repeat steps a and b until ½ of the fillo sheets in the box are used
Step 7: Making the Borek!
- Apply the filling evenly over the fillo
- Repeat steps a and b until rest of the fillo is used
Step 8: Making the Borek!
- Brush the oil, egg and mixture on the last layer of fillo dough sheets
- Brush the egg yolk
- (Optional) Add sesame seeds
Step 9: Cooking!
- Cook in the middle of the oven until the top and the bottom is brown
- Cut into squares when the Borek is slightly colder
Step 10: ENJOY!!!!
You can also make this dish with other fillings as well. This one is my favorite! Please watch the video if you want to see the steps clearly...
Please comment if you tried this! I would love to know how it turned out!