Every single piece of these costumes is inspired by an original concept of my daughter's and every piece was handcrafted by me.
To begin with I constructed a body suit for my daughter and a shirt for my son using cotton lycra fabric. I then dyed them blue and green respectively. I then stuffed these articles with plastic bags and hand painted scales using black, white and silver acrylic craft paints.The blue costume also has a separate pair of heavy lycra tights and a dickie style cowl that covers her neck and upper chest. The cowl has a jagged ede to blend in with the hand painted scales.
The horns are sculpey clay with a cord running through a horizontal hole . The cord is brown to match my kids hair color. and simply ties at the back of the head. After baking they were painted with craft paints.
By daughter's waist cinch is thrift store boots that I cut the tops off of and sewed together at the sides. Buckles were centered on the front and back.
The bracers on my daughters arms are faux leather scraps with store bought nail heads (studs) tapped on.They have grommets on the inside and lace up.
My son's pants are a basic pullup pant with an elastic band made from peachskin fabric.
The loin clothe on the blue costume is suede fabric . Two dish towel sized pieces were used, folded over 2 inches at the top to form a casement with a long thin strip of fabric run through each piece and tied on the side.The belts and jewelry are thrift store finds.
Ben Nye face paint was used and canned hair color spray was bought at the drug store. Fangs are store bought.Wings are flexible PVC covered with lightweight fabric and hand sewn and painted . They are attached to old backpack straps so they are put on like a backpack.
The tails have a long piece of flexible pvc inside a long thin triangle of fabric made to match the body of the costume. I used grocery garbage bags to stuff the tail. The tail was then sewn onto the body of the costume.
Finalist in the
Halloween Photo Instructable Contest