If you have read any of my other instructables you might already know I worked as a I worked as a pâtissier and a sauté chef for a while in a exclusive club and made many different types of desserts. Here is another seasonal desert I always used to make around late April and early May.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Ingredients
- 2 sticks or (1/2 pound) of salted butter
- 1 packed cup of brown sugar (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup of rum or bourbon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 2 cups of pecans roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Step 2: Making the Crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Now bake at 400ºF for around 10 minutes or until it is golden.
- Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes
Step 3: The Pie Filling
- Melt the butter in a large microwavable bowl (do not get the butter to hot)
- Add in in the brown sugar and vanilla to cool it down some and mix
- Now adding in all for of the eggs, mix this especially well to thoroughly incorporate the eggs
- Now add in in the chocolate chips and pecans, mix again
Step 4: Baking and Garnishing
Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes
Now the pie will rise and slightly bubble when it is baking but when it cools it will go back down. While it is baking you can make the Whipped cream that will go on top. Here is the recipe for the whipped cream if you have never made it before:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream in a mixture on high for a few minutes and you will see it become light and fluffy.
- Add in the sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla extract while it is being whipped.
Finally just add a dollop to the cut slices of pie and you are done
Participated in the
Pi Day Pie Challenge