UART stands for Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter. It is the most popular and simplest serial communication protocol.In this instructable, you will learn how to design a UART module in VHDL.
Step 1: What Is UART ?
To communicate with various peripherals, the processors or controllers usually use UART communication. It is a simple and fast serial communication. Since UART is a minimum requirement in almost all processors , they are usually designed as Soft IP cores in VHDL or Verilog for re-usability and ease of integration.
Step 2: Specifications
The specifications of the designed UART are given below :
* Standard interface signals.
* Configurable baud rate from 600-115200.
* FPGA proven design - on Xilinx Artix 7 board.
* Can be easily integrated with processor cores as soft IP.
Step 3: Simulation Results
Step 4: Attached Files
* UART transmitter module -vhd file
* UART receiver module - vhd file
* Baud generator module - vhd file
* UART module - The main top module integrating the above modules - vhd file
* Full documentation of the UART IP Core - pdf
Designed By : Mitu Raj
For queries, Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org