Wanted to reuse an unused old Ikea wall clock (which costs ~$2) as a desktop clock.
Step 1: Removing the Movement and Design
remove the clock hands and take the movement out.
I connected the hands again to see the overall depth of the movement.
The overall design is based on the available movement.
here is rough design of the clock . clock of 80 X100 mm will nicely hold the movement
Step 2: Tools and Mateial
I used Xacto miter box and saw. https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75320-Small-Mitre-Bo...
for wood I used 8X8 MM pine wood block of 1 mtr long from craft store (Arts friends)
Besides this paper knife/cutter, hand drill machine, Hot glue gun, paper glue, wood glue and 1000 grit sandpaper is also required
Step 3: Making the Outer Frame
all the wood pieces are cut to ensure the outer dimension of block be 80X100 mm.
Since the depth of clock is 40mm, i used 5 layers .
Each layer is glued one by one.
For the face side of the layer I used 45 degree miter cut, for the remaining layer its plain joints.
Since this was not very well planned, you can perhaps cut the wood in more nicer way so that the joints looks better.
Give ~10 minutes gaps between each layer joint so that it doesn't come out .
Once whole frame is glued, allow to dry for ~1 hr (depending upon the wood glue used). Then sand it with 1000 grit sandpaper to bring a nice finish.
Step 4: Movement /dial Holder
The outside dimension of the clock is 100mm X 80 mm.
Inside dimensions are 84X64 mm. cut a 2 mm plastic sheet with plastic cutter .
Drill a 8mm hole in the centre.
also paste 2 wood blocks of 8X8 X 64 mm on both sides as shown
Step 5: Glue the Movement
Glue the movement to the 84X64 acrylic sheet with hot glue gun.
It can nicely fit in the clock body.
Did a rough dial on a piece of paper (84X64 mm) with pencil to have an idea of how it looks.
Step 6: Dial
There are plenty of dial pics from google search.
I preferred to create own minimalistic dial.
Used Microsoft word to draw it. You can use CAD or other software as well.
Cut it with paper cutter.
Cut a hole in the middle. I used leather punch !!
Step 7: Final Assembly
Glue the dial using glue stick.
The clock hands were too wide & i used sandpaper & file to give them thin profile.
For front side of clock I cut a 84X64 X2mm clear acrylic sheet and it snugly fit there. Didn't use any glue or adhesive. This steps definitely needs some improvement and there could be better way to do it.
After this inset the dial/movement assemble inside the clock module. ensure to have at least 3-5 mm gap between front acrylic sheet and clock hands. I visually ensured that the movement/dial assembly is at equidistant from front side . Then secured it with hot glue from the rear side.
Still a lot of scope of improvements in it. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks.