Introduction: Desktop Catapult With Storage
I teach a desktop weaponry class with middle school aged homeschoolers. I wanted to have them build a simple catapult with items they could most likely find around the house, but that also had storage in the base for ammo. This quick, fun project fits both those desires.
Step 1: Materials
- 1-3 in x 1.25 in x 1 in cardboard jewelry box with removable lid
- 2-full length craft sticks
- 2-3/4 length craft sticks
- 6-1/2 length craft sticks (tip: cut 3 craft sticks in 1/2)
- 1-jumbo craft stick
- 1 Rubber Band
- 1 condiment cup
- Pencil top erasers or other small ammo
- Duct tape
- Glue gun and glue
Not pictured: scissors
Step 2: Attach Uprights
Remove the lid from the box and place upside down. Glue the full sized craft sticks to the middle of the long side of the lid so they are pointing up. For the rest of the directions, these will be called the uprights.
Step 3: Add Bracing
Glue a 1/2 length craft sick at an angle, attaching it to the lid and the upright as shown. Do this to both sides.
Step 4: Prepare Upper Support
- Glue the remaining 1/2 length craft sticks together in a stack. Try to keep them as even as you can.
- Glue the stack to one 3/4 length craft sick. Make sure they are in the middle of the longer stick and there is room on each side.
Step 5: Put on Upper Support
- Glue the stack of supports to the uprights about 1 to 1 1/2 inches down from the top.
- Glue the last 3/4 length stick to the other side of the uprights.
Step 6: Start the Hinge
- Put the bottom of the box into the lid.
- Tear of a piece of Duct Tape about 3 inches long and sick the jumbo craft stick in the middle of the strip.
- Cut along the sides of the sick making a flap with the tape on each side.
- Tape the stick to the bottom of the box, allowing sick to hang off. The jumbo craft stick should be able to stand perpendicular to the box when lifted.
Step 7: Make the Other Side of the Hinge
- Prepare another piece of tape to make a hinge.
- With the jumbo craft stick upright, attach the hinge to the box. The craft sick should now be able to freely lay down and stand up.
Step 8: Attach the Basket
Glue the condiment cup to the end of the jumbo craft stick.
Step 9: Finishing Steps
- Stand up the jumbo craft stick and lean it against the supports.
- Attach the rubber band. It should loop over the uprights and behind the jumbo craft stick and basket.
- Lift the box and store your ammo.
Step 10: Ready, Set, Fire
Put your ammo in the basket, pull back on the jumbo craft stick, and let it go. If the rubber band is too loose and you'd like more power, wrap it around the uprights to tighten the band.
oryz made it!