Introduction: Did You Know That You Can Borrow and Download EBooks From Your Local Public Library and Read Them on Your Kobo EReader?
Kobo previously made owning a stack of books quick and easy, and now we’re making borrowing books just as easy.
The Kobo eReader makes borrowing, accessing, and reading your public library books even easier than before. So, pull out your library card and let’s get started.
• Call or visit your library’s website to find out, if your local public library participates in the electronic book lending program.
(In the US or Canada, you can use Library Finder http://sonysearch.overdrive.com
• Find out what type of files and eReading devices your library supports. Note that in order for you to borrow eBooks from the library and load them on to your Kobo eReader, your library will need to support ePub and PDF files.
• Make sure that you have valid library card.
• You will need a computer with internet access.
• You will need to download and activate free Adobe DigitalEditions software on to your computer.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: How to Download Adobe Digital Editions Software and Activate It on Your Computer:
1. Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
2. Under the “Install Digital Editions 1.7.2” heading, click “Launch”
3. The “Adobe Digital Editions Installer” screen will be displayed.
4. Click “Yes” in the “Adobe Digital Editions Installer” screen to begin the download.
5. If you accept the terms and license agreement, click the “I Agree” button. Adobe Digital Editions is installed. Adobe Digital Editions will open once the installation is complete.
6. Activate Adobe Digital Editions Using an Adobe ID, it allows you to do more with eBooks, such as downloading them on multiple computers and transferring them to supported portable devices.
Step 2: How to Check Out and Download Your EPUBs and PDFs:
1. Browse and search your library’s site for downloadable materials.
2. When you find a title you’re interested in, add it to the cart/wish list and check it out.
3. Once you have checked out your title, click on the “Download” link to start the download process.
4. At this point you can open your book and read it in Adobe Digital Editions, or proceed to transferring it to your Kobo eReader.
Step 3: How to Transfer a Book in EPUB Format From Adobe Digital Editions on to Your Kobo EReader:
1. Plug in your Kobo eReader to your computer.
2. Make sure that your Adobe Digital Editions library is open on your desktop computer.
3. Select “Manage Library” function on your Kobo eReader.
4. Watch as the Kobo eReader icon appears in a list of bookshelves on the left.
5. Right click and then drag and drop the book you wish to transfer to your Kobo eReader into the Kobo eReader bookshelf in Adobe Digital Editions.
6. Give the book time to transfer to your Kobo eReader.
7. Safely eject your Kobo eReader from your computer and then unplug your device.
8. You are ready to read.
1 Person Made This Project!
- angelnana made it!