Introduction: Diy Enameling Trivet
So I've bought a kiln...
I couldn't find a shop where I could buy a couple of cheap trivets in my country, but it didn't seem hard to make them myself and I always wanted to try welding.
So here we go.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: You Will Need
- thin sheet steel
- steel cutter
- some way to bend steel
- steel clamps
Step 2: Design the Trivet
The easiest design seems to be 3 triangles welded together.
To test out the design, I first cut them from a piece of paper. This way I tested both the size and the design.
I ended up making the trivets 5 cm (2 inch) high.
Step 3: Cut the Squares
- Measure squares of 5 x 5 cm on the steel.
- Cut the squares with any type of metal shear.
Step 4: Make the Triangles
- Cut the squares from corner to corner in half to make triangles.
- Bend one of the sharp corners from each triangle 60 degrees.
- 3 triangles put together wil form the trivet.
Step 5: Welding
- Clamp the 3 triangles together.
- (spot)weld the triangles together.
Make sure that the middle is a little bit raised, so the trivet wil stand on it's 3 corners.
Step 6: Finished
- Put your workpiece on the trivet and put it in the kiln.
- The first time the trivet will probably scale.
To make 5 trivets took me less than 5,- euro and not even one hour from idea till finished trivets.