Introduction: Do You Want a Slice of Vegan Spiced Tofu Quiche?
Yesterday evening, I invented this fabulous Vegan Spiced Tofu Quiche! I had a leftover organic vegan puff pastry that I needed to use up. Check it all out!
Come on over @ my house & I will serve you a big slice, if you want! ;)
I had a new square non-stick pastry tin that I needed to try! It really worked out well! I just had to grease the tin, sides & removable bottom & the Quiche came out perfectly! It was the 1st time, I created a vegan Quiche using drained & Vitamixed silken tofu! My husband & I ate 2 pieces each. In the pst, I made Vegan Quiche tartlets using a home-made spelt oil pastry & using soy cream in my tartlets! You can find the recipe: Here!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: 1. Gather Your Ingredients!
Recipe : For 1 medium Quiche: 22.5 cm x 22.5 cm!
* For the rest:
a vegan puff pastry, mine was organic & round
* For the filling:
1 cup (90 gr) red bell pepper strips, seeds & white parts removed
3 filled cups + 1/4 cup orange chard, ( well pushed into the cups), (168 gr), well rinsed, pad dry, leaves & stems used, cut up into smaller pieces & leaves cut up into smaller pieces = 1 bunch!
1 cup + 1/2 cup (138 gr) of cleaned, cut up brown mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon dried Provençal herbs
Himalayan pink salt, in a grinder
a fruity extra virgin olive oil
some knobs of vegan butter
2 fat garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
1 dried red chili pepper, stem cut off, cut up finely & use the seeds too!
1 cup + 1/2 cup (360 gr) of well-drained silken tofu ( instead of eggs!! )
Step 2: Method!
1. Take an oven rack out of your oven & place a Silpat over it. Take your non-stick pastry tin & smear it all in with vegan butter. This means, the bottom, the sides all the way up & the removable bottom too. Place it on the Silpat. Preheat your oven for 10 minutes on 210°C ( 410 F).
2. Place a larger pan & heat up on medium high. Add some drizzles of that fruity evoo in it & swirl it around. When hot, add chopped garlic & chili pepper. Fry for a few minutes, stirring often, lower your heat if you need to. Now, add red pepper strips & cut up stems of your chard. Add some salt & 10 grins of black pepper. Stir often & fry until nearly al dente. This is about 8 minutes. Finally, add chopped chard leaves. Stir often & add a splash of hot water to the pan & place fitted loud on. Let the chard steam until al dente. Check seasoning again & place fitted lid on. At the same time, heat non-stick pan oh high heat. Add drizzles of olive oil & few knobs of vegan butter & heat up. When hot, add chopped mushrooms & 1/2 teaspoon of dried Provençal hens. Stir often & fry until cooked through & browned on all sides. This will take a few minutes. Add fried mushrooms to veggie mix & stir through.
3. Your drained silken tofu, check it again. Pour the excess of water off & place the tofu in your Vitamix. Blend it together on high-speed until a bit thicker & really creamy. Place your veggie mix into a larger bowl & pour the Vitamixed tofu onto the veggie mix. Mix carefully with a spoon. Check the seasoning again.
4. Take your vegan puff pastry out of its package & roll it out & place with your hands it into your pastry tin. The pastry is round & my tin is square. Carefully push the sides & bottom of the pastry into the tin. Now, you see now that the corners are not covered in pastry. Trim off the excess of pastry on top of the sides & cut away & push with your fingers the extra dough into the sides & all up the sides too, something like this, seed picture above!
Finally, trim the excess of pastry on top of the rims & put it away. Prick the dough many times with the help of a fork. Carefully pour veggie-tofu mix all on top & all over the pastry. Spread it all evenly out with the back of a spoon. I added 10 grins of black pepper & 5 grins of grinned Himalayan pink salt over the surface top of the tofu mix. It will look something like this: see second picture above!
5. Place into the hot oven & bake for about 31 minutes. After 25 minutes, check it out. My puff pastry needed normally 35 minutes of baking in a 210°C oven. Check with your pastry instructions first! ;)With oven gloves on, carefully remove the wire rack out of the oven & place on your kitchen counter. Let the Quiche rest into the tin for 5 minutes. When cold enough to handle, carefully remove the upper tin with your hands. Then, remove the removable bottom. Use a palet knife! Do not use a knife!! Place it on a wire rack. When you are ready to eat the Quiche, place on a chopping board & cut into 4 pieces. Serve at once! because this Quiche was very delicious & even fantastic, we savored 2 pieces each. And it is not a very big Quiche either! ;) Enjoy! xxx
You can also find it here on my blog: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/vegan-spiced-tofu-quiche