Intro: Dog Cheesecake Recipe
I am the first one to admit that I love my dog more than I love most people! This leads me to spoil him a *bit* too much when it comes to treats ',:)
I've developed this recipe, using ingredients I know that dogs love and ingredients that I know are definitely able to be given in moderation. and looking for common ingredients that are healthy yet loved by all dogs. My dog Uni for instance, loves sour cream so much that we use it as a vehicle for administering the worst of medicines (shhh). So I take sour cream and mix it with cream cheese to create a sort of 'cheesecake' treat.
These ingredients can be replaced by cottage cheese or low-fat plain yogurt.
Step 1: Ingredients
for the base you'll need:
- 1/2 cup dog biscuits (small or large doesn't matter as long as they're treats your dog likes!)
- 1/2 a ripe banana
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
For the filling you'll need:
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese (preferably low fat, if you can find it)
Step 2: Make the Crust
Crust? Base? Shell? who knows... anyway:
- Start by crushing up your dog biscuits, either by using a rolling pin and plastic bag or with a food processor
- Combine the crushed biscuits with the oats, banana, and peanut butter and mix well
- Lay out some parchment or foil, and use your hands to make patty shapes with medium sized balls of mixture
- Transfer these to the fridge for 15 min-1 hr to set
Step 3: Make the Filling
- In a small bowl, combine your sour cream and cream cheese, and stir until evenly combined
Step 4: Make the Cheesecakes
- Remove the bases from the fridge, and layer on a good dollop of cream cheese filling over each round
- Smooth over the top because presentation matters! You're trying to impress your dog!
- Let these set in the fridge for another 15-30 min
Step 5: Interlude: Someone's Interested :))
Step 6: Fruit Topping
Make your dog feel fancy schmancy while serving up those essential vitamins and healthy sugars.
Take a handful of whatever dog friendly fruit you have lying around the fridge, and muddle or blend it with some honey and a splash of water to create a puree.
I chose kiwi, mulberries, and some cooked strawberries I had leftover
Step 7: Finish Up
finish your cheesecakes off with a healthy spoonful of fruit and voila! Delicious and decadent once-in-a-while treats for your special someone <3
Step 8: Serve
Judging by the well-licked plate at the end there, I'd say this venture was a success! Time to quit student life and start a puppy cheesecake bakery :)
Step 9: Thank You!
Thank you very much for your time and interest in this instructable, have a good day!