Introduction: Dog Loose Leash Walking
Loose leash walking can make handling a dog much more pleasant.
Step 1: Equipment:
You will need for these methods:
- A leash
- Collar or harness, see second photo for options
- Reward(s) - treats, toys, petting, life rewards (not pulling on leash = get to continue walk, go outside, etc.), etc.
- Marker any word or sound when dog does something well
- Target stick when using target method if more comfortable
- Bait bag (sometimes dogs will get where they will not perform a behavior without seeing a bait bag presen) or pockets
- Multi purpose leash or hands free leash
Step 2: Method 1:
Method 1 is quite simple if a dog pulls, you stop. When he stops pulling walking continues.
Step 3: Luring Method:
When luring try to entice the dog to be by your side using a reward while walking. I like to keep a treat just above her nose and reward every few steps
Step 4: Capture Method:
With capture method you try to “capture” the behavior by marking and rewarding the dog when he does the desired behavior. Here you can try by marking and rewarding everytime there is no tension on the leash. You can also capture behaviors such as automatic sits, attention, or any other behavior you want the the dog to offer
Step 5: Target Method:
Before the target method can be used the dog must know how to “target”. You can try marking and rewarding everytime the dog touches a hand, target stick, or other object. Clanscey and Ginger both caught on to targeting with little effort or time on my part. Once the dog knows how to target start raising criteria (marking and rewarding longer target duration to one or so steps following a target to full walk) with intermittent easier targeting (to prevent burn out). You could try target method with dog targeting leg or object on leg instead of hand or target stick.
Step 6: Credits:
To GOD be all the glory!!!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
GOD loves you and GOD Bless!!!
(Sorry for the upside down and lack of photos I was having technical difficulties)