Intro: Dopero Kite by Luke and Amadalla
As part of our Kite-making Unit in Mr. Skinner's Project Future class at Escalante Middle School, we have created these instructions to describe how to make a paper Dopero Kite.
Step 1: Materials
- 2- 20''x 30'' sheets of tissue paper- colors of your choice
- Binder Clips
- Meter stick
- 4- 1/8''x 50 '' Bamboo spars
- Elmer's glue all
Step 2: Folding the Kite
- Fold one sheet of tissue paper in half so you're left with a 15'' x 20'' sheet.
Step 3: Creating the Outline of the Kite
- Make a mark 15 inches up on the folded edge.
- Measure 4 inches away from the mark you just made.
- Make another mark 9 inches up on the folded edge.
- Measure 12.5 inches away from the 9 inch mark.
- Make a mark 12.5 inches away from the left corner on the base of the sheet.
- Connect the two marks that are 12.5 inches away from the folded edge.
- Connect a diagonal line from the 4 inch mark to the top of the line you just made.
- You should be left with the shape shown above.
- Attach binder clips along the edges of the folded sheet to hold it in place.
Step 4: Cutting the Kite
- Cut a long the outside edges of the pencil lines.
- Remove the binder clips carefully and unfold the sheet.
- This is the top sail of your kite. Set aside.
Step 5: Creating the Bottom Sail of the Kite.
- Fold the second sheet of tissue paper as you did with the first sheet of paper.
- Make a mark 10'' up along the folded edge.
- Make another mark 4'' out from the top of the 10'' line.
- Make a mark 12.5 '' away from the folded edge on the base of the sheet.
- Connect the 12.5'' make and the 4'' mark with a diagonal line.
- You should be left with the shape shown above.
- Attach the binder clips along the edges of the folded sheet to keep tissue paper in place.
Step 6: Cutting the Bottom Sail
- Carefully cut along the outside edges of the pencil lines.
- Remove the binder clips and unfold the sheet of tissue paper.
- This is the bottom sail of your Dopero kite.
- Keep scraps for decoration.
Step 7: Creating the Kite.
- Layout the bottom and top half of the Dopero as shown in the image, there should be a 5'' gap between the bottom and the top.
- Place the meter stick so the corners align as shown
- Make a line of glue along the outside edge of the meter stick and remove the meter stick.
- Place a bamboo spar along the glue line, making sure there is at least 1 inch hanging off the end of the sail.
- Hold down firmly for 1-2 minutes while glue drys.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 on the other side of the kite as shown.
- Align the meter stick from corner to corner on the top half of the kite, perpendicular to the two vertical spines.
- Repeat steps 3- 5.
- Align the meter stick on the top of the bottom half of the kite.
- Repeat steps 3-5.
- Cut off excess bamboo spars, leaving an inch on each side.
Step 8: Reinforcements
- Cut out 8 squares of of the scrap pieces, (4 of each color).
- Outline the squares in glue and place them in the positions shown above.
- In some places you will have to fold the square over the outside edge.
- In two places you will have to cut a slit in the middle of the square and fold the two edges over.
Step 9: Attaching the Sails With String
- Add tape to the front and backside of the bottom corners of the top sail for reinforcement.
- Create a small hole in the taped area for string to fit through. You can either use hole punchers or the blade of a pair of scissors.
- Measure two pieces of string approximately 8" .
- Loop one piece of string through the hole you just made and tie it. Then, tie the other end of the string to the spar directly below the hole.
- Repeat step 4 on the other side of the kite.
- Cut off the excess string.
Step 10: Decorations
- Flip the kite over. so the spars and reinforcements are faced down.
- Cut desired shapes out of left over scraps.
- Decorate your kite as you please.
- Glue decorations on.
Step 11: Flexing the Spars
- Flip the kite over so the spars are facing up.
- Cut a piece of string that is the length of the width of the kite.
- Tie a loop on one end of the string as shown and put it around one of the spars as shown.
- Bend the spar by pulling the string to the other end of the kite,and tie it to the other spar.
- Be careful not to snap the spar.
- You may need help bending and tying the string to the spar.
- Repeat steps 2-6 on the bottom half of the kite.
- Un-flex the spar by removing the loop on the end of the kite.
- You'll only need to flex the spars when you're flying the kite.
Step 12: Bridling the Kite
- Flip your kite over.
- Create four lengths of string that area bout half the length of your kite.
- Tie the string to the places shown above.
- Tie the top two pieces of string together and the bottom two pieces together.
- Use an additional 5'' piece of string to tie all the strings together, as well as tying a loop.
- When you're ready to fly your kite; tie your roll of string to the loop you just made.
Step 13: Congratulations! You Have Finished Your Dopero Kite!
Go fly it!!!!!