This is jig to make holes for dowel without measuring. More precise you make this jig it will work better, so take your time. you can make it from laminated parts also and laser cut it for best results.
Step 1: Main Parts
This are main parts. I used two 40mm X 250mm pieces of scrap.
Step 2: Making Slide
For slide I used scrap 4mm plywood.
Step 3: Using Your Jig
- Pinch side of material with jig.
- Drill hole
- Put dowel in hole.
- Turn Jig upside down and put other side of dowel in drilling hole on your jig.
- Set slide to touch edge of material.
- Align tables and leave space for jig.
- Put jig channel over dowel.
- Push tool so slide will align to material edge.
- Drill your hole.
- Repeat for all holes.
You can drill all holes on one side at one time, makes it easier and quicker.
Use depth gage so you will not drill through material.
This is how to use Woodcraft DowelMaster, idea is similar
Step 4: Variation
This I made for friend and it is with 6mm, 8mm, 10mm holes.