What happens when you can't find your compass? Necessity may be the mother of invention... but it doesn't have to be the catalyst for complexity!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
Here's a quick and easy way, with a little 3D printing, to turn a drawing pencil into a compass.
The Capricious Compass is comprised of five parts: a leg, nut, bolt, pencil, and a straight pin. Assembly should take about 10 - 15 minutes.
- 3D print your compass parts on a fine setting (support material not needed)
- Warm the bolt with a torch or lighter a bit to soften the threads
- Screw the bolt on carefully and run the full length of the threads
- Remove the nut, insert the bolt into the compass leg, and replace the nut
- Hot-glue a straight pin into the tip of the compass leg - be careful, it's sharp!
- Insert your pencil into the bolt and adjust height to taste
Circumscribe the day!