Introduction: Dreamcatcher Keychain
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1. KEY RING
2. METAL RING (THE SMALLER THE BETTER FOR KEY CHAINS, I USED A 2" DIAMETER RING)
3. LEATHER LACE (ABOUT 80" JUST TO BE SAFE THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR TRIMMING)
4. WAXED THREAD (SAME AMOUNT AS LACE WHICH WILL GIVE YOU PLENTY OF ROOM TO TRIM)
5. FEATHERS (2 OR 3)
7. KRAZY GLUE
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Wrapping the Ring
1. Fold the leather in half making sure that both ends are even.
2. Next make a loop at the top leaving about 2" of slack to loop the key ring to.
3. Take the Krazy Glue and glue the loop at the base where it meets the ring. (this will give tension to wrap the ring tight)
4. Once the glue is dry you can then begin wrapping the ring starting at the top center working your way down towards the bottom on each side.
***MAKE SURE TO WRAP THE RING AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE TO PREVENT ANY SPACING BETWEEN THE LEATHER***
Step 2: Start the Weaving
1. Once the sides reach each other at the bottom you can tie them together and super glue the ends.
2. Take the thread and tie a knot at the top next to the loop.
3. It's now time to make the first loop. In a clockwise direction wrap the string around the ring in between the gaps of the leather. From the front to the back pull the thread around leaving room for the thread to be pulled through. Once you have it through, pull it tight to the ring and proceed to the next loop spacing it the same amount of gaps in the leather as the first loop.
Step 3: Continuing the Pattern
1. After you have it all the way around once it its time to make your first loop in the second row.
2. Just as you wrapped the thread around the ring you're gonna want to do the same thing around the loops you made around the ring the first time around. Loop it in the same motion but make sure where you pull it tight is in the center of the loop creating the diamond pattern that is seen in dream-catchers.
3. Continue on and do as many rows as desired. Just know the smaller you go the more difficult it is to keep organized.
4. Once you think you've gone far enough, tie knot in the thread near the last loop made and cut the excess off.
***IF AT ANY POINT YOU WOULD LIKE TO INSERT A BEAD ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS THREAD IT ON AT THE DESIRED LOCATION AND KEEP LOOPING AS IF NOTHING WAS THERE. IT WILL FALL INTO PLACE BY ITSELF.***
Step 4: Adding the Feathers
1. With the excess thread you cut off from the cut about a 1-2" piece off and tie to a desired place around the ring. (the bottom side work the best)
2. Thread on how ever many beads as desired.
3. Now take the base of the quill from the feather and wedge in the remaining room in the bead hole. Attach with a drop of super glue and cut the remaining thread.
Step 5: Finish It Off
1. Once all the excess thread is trimmed and key ring is attached your dream catcher is ready to go!! Attach to any of your keys and transform them into a work of art!!