Intro: Dryer Maintenance
See more projects on our website.
Step 1: Watch This Video to Learn to Take Care of Your Dryer
Why dryer maintenance?
- A build up of lint in the dryer, dryer duct, or vent pipe can spark a fire.
- Lint buildup can make a dryer become less efficient and/or ultimately stop heating.
- Clean the lint trap every time the dryer is used.
- Clean the dryer duct & vent pipe at least once a year or more if machine starts to dry less efficiently.
- Vacuum with hand held tools
- Various dusting materials such as microfiber cloths
- Aluminum foil duct tape
- Dryer brushes
- Dust mask if especially sensitive to dust
- Unplug dryer before starting to work.
- Remove the dryer duct to access the vent pipe. When reattaching, use aluminum foil duct tape to seal the duct to the vent pipe & back of machine before reattaching the clamps.
- Check the dryer duct for crimping as this can trap lint. In the video we shortened the duct as it was crimped at one end & was not sealed properly allowing dust into the room. The duct cuts easily with tin snips.
- Gently remove outside vent cover as it could break.