Hello everyone, I'm Ashley and in this Instructable I'm sharing how to build a dust collection cart for the Ridgid shop vacuum and Dustopper (a cyclone dust separator for a 5 gallon bucket). This is a weekend DIY project that can be built from a single sheet of plywood.
Let's get started with the build!
The following are some of the tools and supplies I gathered to build my dust collection cart (affiliate links):
- Track saw
- Table saw
- Pocket Hole Jig
- Routerwith circle cutting jig or jigsaw
- Drill / Driver
- 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood
- 1 1/4" pocket hole screws
- 3" caster wheels (4)
- Screws and washers for caster wheel installation
- wood glue
The 36″ hose that came with the Dustopper is a few inches too short so I used the hose that came with my Ridgid vacuum.
I also use a Bosch vacuum hose for my orbital sander. It’s a nice hose and I recommend it. It needs an adapter to connect to the Dustopper.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Cut Parts According to Cut List
Break down the sheet of plywood into the following parts:
- 23 1/2″ x 40″ (Sides) x 2
- 24″ x 22″ (Base)
- 24″ x 14″ (Top Shelf)
- 4″ x 24″ (Braces) x 3
- 4″ x 22″ (Caster Supports) x 2
Step 2: Drill Pocket Holes
Grab a pocket hole jig drill and drill pockets holes on the following parts:
- All four sides of the base
- The short sides of the top shelf
- The short sides of the braces
Step 3: Assemble the Cart
Assemble the cart following the diagram. Attach the two sides together via the top shelf and three braces. Install the base 3/4″ from the bottom of sides to allow clearance for the caster supports.
Step 4: Cut a Hole in the Top Shelf for the Bucket
Step 5: Install Caster Wheels
Attach the parts for the caster supports to the base of the cart. Grabs screws and matching washers and install 4 casters to the underside of the dust cart.
Step 6: Enjoy!
The Dustopper + Shop Vac cart is a much needed shop addition. It’s so nice having the bucket on a set of wheels now.
Thanks for checking out my Instructable!
Watch the video tutorial:
Find me online:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/handmadewithash
- Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/handmadewithashley/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/handmadewithashley/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/handmadewithashley/
- Website: http://www.ashleygrenon.com/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6SOnloZ_nBrrVLJ...
Participated in the
Epilog X Contest