The goal of this Instructables is to teach you how to easily make candles using empty beer bottles. With a few items from craft and home improvement stores, you’ll be able to prepare your candle in under one hour.
Step 1: What You'll Need
- Beer Bottle
- Glass Cutter
- Glass Sanding Block
- Hot/Warm Water
- 8 oz. Soy Wax
- Glue Dot
- Two Rubber Bands
- Two Craft Sticks
- Double boiler or a big pot
Step 2: Scoring the Glass
- Cutting glass can be difficult and dangerous. Be sure to take proper precautions when handling glassware.
- Take your Glass Cutter and score your bottle. For a clean score, stack books at cutting level to maintain the scoring line.
Step 3: Splitting the Glass
- To split the glass, you will be alternating your bottle in hot and icy water. Rapid changes in temperature will cause the glass to break. You may have to do this several times. It is best to do this over a sink, as the glass may shatter during the transfer.
- Alternatively, you may use a heat gun and cold water.
Step 4: Sanding the Glass
- You may or may not have a clean cut. Either way, be sure to use your glass sanding block to round and smooth all edges.
- Rinse with water and dry thoroughly.
Step 5: Attach the Wicks
- Place glue dot / wick in center of newly cut bottle
- Support wick using craft sticks
Step 6: Melt the Wax
- Set up a double-boiler.
- Fill larger pot with water.
- Place pouring container in larger pot.
- Pour 8 oz. of Soy Wax into pouring container
- Heat over low-medium heat until wax is completely melted
- After the wax is melted, continue to heat on low for 7 minutes
Step 7: Adding the Scent
- Once wax is at ideal temperature (180°- 190°F, 82°- 87°C), add 2 tablespoons of your candle scent.
- Mix for two minutes
- Turn off heat and remove from stove
Step 8: Pouring the Wax
- Slowly pour wax into beer bottle near the edge
- Avoid the wick
- Leave ½ inch from top
Step 9: Cool Down & Trim the Wick
- Cool for at least two days in room temperature before lighting your new candle
- Trim the wick – leave ¼ inch from the top of the wax
Participated in the
First Time Author Contest 2018