Introduction: Easy Biofuel
Bio diesel can reduce global warming pollution from diesel vehicle by 80 to 90 percent when compared to conventional diesel fuel. You can easy make your own bio diesel out of cooking oil and a few common chemicals. Bio diesel is cleaner burning and cheaper then conventional diesel. Here is how to easily make bio diesel that can be used in any diesel automobile.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
To make this bio diesel you will need cooking oil and a few chemicals that can be purchased at most hardware stores.
- 1 liter of a new vegetable oil or other cooking oils such as canola oil, corn oil.
- 3.5 grams of sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide is also know as Lye. It can purchased as drain cleaner at most hardware stores. Be sure to check to see if the ingredient label says that the cleaner contains sodium hydroxide.
- 200 Milliliters of methanol. Methanol can be found in Heet™. It is used for fuel treatment and can be found at most auto part stores. Make sure the label says it contains methanol.
- Glass containers
- Safety equipment: Gloves, safety glasses and apron.
Step 2: Preparation and Safety
The diesel should be made around room temperature or warmer because the reaction will not occur if it is to cold. Sodium hydroxide and methanol are both very dangerous, you dont want to get then on your skin or breath the vapors. The creation of this bio diesel should be outside or in a well ventilated area. Make sure to use the proper safety equipment.
Step 3: Making It!
- Pour 200 ML of methanol and the 3.5 g of sodium hydroxide into a glass.
- Mix them until the Sodium hydroxide has completely dissolved.
- Add 1 liter of vegetable oil.
- Continue stirring the mixture for around 10 minutes.
- Allow the liquid to sit for a day or two.
- You should start to see the liquid separate into two layers. The bottom layer is glycerin and the top is bio diesel.
- Now you can pour off the bio diesel into a separate container.
Step 4: Use
This bio diesel can be used the way it is in some diesel engines but others may require you to mix it with a regular diesel fuel. If you wish to use this in a vehicle I suggest that you research your specific vehicle. Bio diesel has a great potential to reduce pollution from diesels vehicles witch in turn could help slow the effects of global warming.