Introduction: Easy Enchilada Casserole
My wife came up with this a couple of weeks ago and I've been begging her to make it again. It's not hard, there are a hundred like it, but it's so good and so simple to make. Prep time is about 15-20 minutes, with cook time about the same. Serves 3-4, more if you use it as a main dish.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts and Tools List
- 1 small can enchilada sauce
- 1 can beans (pretty much any canned bean, but not baked beans. We used pinto beans this time.)
- ~ 2 cups shredded cheese (I used 1/2 of the chunk pictured above, or roughly 1/4-1/3 of a 32 oz. brick. I asked my wife how much and she said "a crap ton," so there ya go)
- 1 chicken breast (frozen or fresh)
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- chicken bouillon, cubes or granules (optional)
- 1 can sliced olives (not pictured. I thought about it halfway through. Sure was good too)
- medium pot
- 9X13 casserole dish
- cheese grater (or buy shredded cheese)
Step 2: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
We basically poach the frozen chicken breast in some chicken broth and it works great. However you do it, cook it before adding to the casserole. Also, using the bouillon is optional, but it really adds some good flavor to it. My wife is not a big fan of plain cooked chicken, so this is her solution.
Put the chicken breast in the pot and add enough water to cover. Add about 1 tsp bouillon granules (or 1 cube). Bring to a boil and then turn down to med-high heat. Let the chicken cook for about 10-15 minutes. The half cooked chicken in the picture was after about 10 minutes. Another 5 and it was done.
While the chicken is cooking, shred the cheese, tear the tortillas into roughly 1-inch pieces, and drain and rinse the beans and olives.
Use a can/bottle opener to punch those triangle holes in the top of the enchilada sauce can.
Step 3: Cook
Shred or chunk the chicken and add everything to the casserole dish except for the cheese. Mix everything really well, making sure it's all covered and evenly spread out. Put the cheese on top and cook it in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve while still hot.
This could easily be made into a vegetarian dish by substituting different types of beans for the chicken and using soy based cheese. Any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to comment below. Have fun cooking!