Looking for an easy Mexican rice recipe* to go with tamales, enchilidas, burritos, tacos, etc...? This one is easy to make, is easy to clean up, and requires few ingredients. The results are tasty and eye-catching.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large or whole medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups rice (I found Bomba rice works best)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1-10 oz can diced green chillies and tomatos
- 1 -14 1/2 oz can whole or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth (a little more may be needed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
*NOTE: This recipe was adapted from Good Ol' Basic Mexican Rice by The Pioneer Woman.
Step 1: Aromatics
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
Step 2: Rice Time
Reduce heat to low and add rice. Make sure the rice doesn't burn by stirring for 3-5 minutes.
Step 3: Tomato Time
Add chillies and tomatoes. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Finally, add broth, sea salt, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until rice is done. If necessary, add more broth.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Here is the rice served with some homemade Peruvian tamales. Yum!