Making PCBs is one of the easiest things to do with the right materials.
What you will need:
- (1) Copper Clad Board (that has been wiped down with water)
- (1) laser jet printer (it is important that you have a laser jet printer because that is what you will print your PCB design with)
- (1) piece of transfer paper (this is what you will print your PCB design on) easily found on Amazon
- (1) PCB design (I recommend using the free Eagle CAM software)
- (1) Iron or House Hold Laminator (this will be how you transfer the design to the piece of copper clad)
- (1) Small bucket of Ferric Chloride
- (1) Wet Rag
- Acetone or Finger Nail polish remover
Step 1: Step 1:
The first thing you will want to do is to wipe off your copper clad board. This is important because any oil that is on the board could possibly cause additional imperfections on the board. Next, you will want to tape your PCB print out to the copper clad board. Make sure there is no air bubbles or gaps between the paper and the board.
Step 2: Step 2:
Now you will want to iron your PCB paper to the copper clad board. Or even better if you happen to own a laminator put your PCB design that is taped to the copper clad board through the machine multiple times. After the that is done carefully remove the paper from the copper clad board. If you do see any imperfections in the board you can carefully fix it by using a sharpie marker.
Step 3: Step 3:
Now you will want to soak the copper clad board in a small container filled with Ferric Chloride. Warning: do not keep it in the container for too long otherwise the Ferric Chloride will completely erase the copper from the board. I would say only keep it in until you are barely able to see the PCB design.
Step 4: Step 4:
After that is done you will now want to gently rub your PCB board with a soft rag damped with acetone or nail polish remover. And now you are ready to complete the PCB board by drilling holes into it or any other necessary steps to create your own personal PCB board! Congratulations!
This is an entry in the