2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 quart of oil for deep frying (or one bottle of oil in smaller pan)
any topping you want. (I used a cinnamon and sugar mixture)
1. Stir the vinegar into the milk and let stand while you,
2. Cream together the shortening with the sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended.
3. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt .
4. Alternating between the vinegar and milk mixture and the sifted flour mixture, add bit by bit with the shortening, egg and vanilla mixture.
5. Flour a surface big enough to roll your dough into about 1/3 inch thickness.
6. I used the top of a lid from vegetable oil that I used to fry the doughnuts to cut the doughnut holes out and then just rolled the extra dough into about the same sized balls once I cut all the doughnut holes and pressed gently on them to flatten them out to the 1/3 inch thickness to fry the rest.
7. Have fun! I turned my electric stove on medium heat to heat my oil but you may need to vary the temperature. If you have a thermometer, heat your oil to 350* F!
8. I used a cookie cooling rack and some newspaper topped with a sheet of paper towels to put my fried goodies on and let them slightly cool before I rolled them in cinnamon sugar. mmm
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.