Firstly let me make it clear, I am not a crafty person at all. Secondly this was my very first attempt at anything like this. The pics and instructions are a bit wobbly because I'm doing this after the fact. Enjoy and please comment I need feed back.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Cleaning and Sanding
If your material is as old as mine it will probably be very dirty and scratched. I used bleach to clean it thoroughly because it was incredibly dirty, rinsed it then let it dry. Then I sanded it with a 2500 grit sandpaper. You can use another grit as long as its very fine. I only realised after I had already finished my work that I could of tried to sand out my scratches as well for that you would use a much rougher grit. When I was finished sanding I cleaned of any remaining dirt and dust with acetone because that's all I could find, mentholated spirit works as well.
Step 2: Painting
When spray painting make sure your in a well ventilated area, wear suitable clothing and that you don't have anything nearby you don't want to get paint on. Of course you don't have to use spray paint but it's the best option as a brush can leave visible strokes. Use a paint specifically for plastic, I used rust-oleum. I had no experience with spray paints but following the instructions on the can was easy. Just remember to keep the can the recommended distance away because spraying to close or heavy causes dripping. Depending on the state of your material you will need between 2-3 coats of paint. Remember to let paint dry between coats. Use the recommended time on the can.
Step 3: Upholstering
After your material is completely dry it's upholstery time. Since my spool had detachable compartments I just traced it and cut out what I felt I needed. I used two 3/4 inch pieces of foam, as I had it on hand. You can use whatever thickness you desire, I didn't want to make my stool to thick because I felt it would show to many seams on the side. First I stapled my batting unto my spool then my foam. For my material I used a huge old polyester jersey I found lying around. I recommend you use a more durable fabric but it has been several weeks and it's holding up very well. I didn't do any measurements on the shirt but I used half a side and I still had cloth remaining. I would think about 1/2 to 3/4 yard of fabric would of worked well. I placed my fabric wrong side up on a smooth surface and placed my material already covered with batting and foam in the centre. Then I proceeded to staple it unto my spool, stopping to check for seams as I went along. Remember when stapling to pull your fabric taut and as tight as possible.
When that was finished I screwed on all my compartments and voila I had an upholstered stool. Don't forget to leave your comments below.