Edible glitter to be considered fully edible needs to be made from all edible ingredients. What does edible mean? It means that the ingredients used are approved by the FDA and considered food.
Non-toxic (not edible) glitters are everywhere. You probably have seen them on cake pops, apples, etc. They are super sparkly and actually made from plastic. Now, will this hurt you if you eat it? Nope. It's non-toxic meaning that it will pass right through you just if you ate some wax.
But still, some people would prefer that everything they put on their cakes be actually made of food. So I tweaked my gelatin sheet recipe and added in some metallic luster dust from TruColor. Trucolor is really cool because they make their metallics with all naturally occurring minerals and they are really sparkly!
So let's make some edible glitter!
Step 1: Dissolving Your Gelatin
Pour water into a shallow dish. sprinkle gelatin evenly over the water and let it absorb for 5 minutes
Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir and microwave for another 15 seconds if needed to melt fully
Let sit for 5 minutes and bubbles will rise to the surface and create a white foam. Skim this foam off the surface with a spoon and discard
You can now use this base recipe by combining with edible luster dusts, metallics or food coloring
Step 2: Let It Dry
Spread your gelatin out onto a big sheet of plastic wrap and let it dry overnight. Break it up into small-ish pieces
Step 3: Grind It Up
Put a few pieces into a spice grinder (For best results) or a blender and blend it up. Sift the pieces so that the small ones go through and keep grinding up the bigger pieces. The smaller the pieces the better it will be and the more shiny.
Step 4: Done!
Wasn't that easy? Making edible glitter is pretty sweet and you can mix it up for any color. You can check out my full recipe for edible glitter on my website.
Step 5: Full Video
Watch the video tutorial on making this edible glitter