Introduction: Eggs in a Nest Cookies
These cookies are perfect for Easter, springtime, or a party! They are so easy to make and are super cute! The cookies consist of a sugar cookie, frosting, coconut shavings, and a robin egg on top! These cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (2.5 sticks) of butter or margarine (softened, not melted)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract or scraped pods of a vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (175 for Celsius)
- In a bowl stir flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time then add the vanilla
- Adding about 1 cup at a time stir in the dry ingredients into the wet
- Using your hands roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place onto pan (works good with parchment or wax paper)
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until very subtly browned on edges
- Allow cookies to cool COMPLETELY before frosting
Step 2: Frosting the Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup of confectioners or powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk (this amount depends on how you like your frosting)
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combined softened butter and powdered sugar
- Add vanilla and milk (if you need you can add a little more milk to thin
- Using an offset spatula, spread frosting on the whole surface of the cookie
Step 3: Decorating the Cookies
This is the part where you really get to customize. Choose what colors your nests should be (I used green because we had an abundance of it at our house). Then mix coconut flakes and a few drops of dye in a bowl. If needed put about a tsp of water to help disperse the color.
Then after sprinkle some onto the cookies and plop an egg right in the middle and you have an adorable cookie that the whole family will love!