If you kept a record of how many minutes you wait at the doctor's office or wait in the car to pick someone up you would be amazed at how the minutes add up. I always keep a small bag of sewing projects in my car for this reason. I figured I could complete a project with all the extra minutes that I saved. This has served me well. I wanted to add a sewing box to my bag so I made this Altoids can into a small sewing kit. It has been a great addition to my bag.
I also needed a way to hide my scissors and my seam ripper. I will look all over for these when I need them and I will finally ask my husband if he has seen them. He uses them for some of his projects and forgets to return them. Since I have added the kit to my sewing bag I never have to look for them again!
Step 1: Supplies
What you will need to make the sewing kit:
- Altoids can
- Small piece of cardboard
- Scissors or pinking scissors
- Small fabric scrap
- 1 Small button optional
- Small piece of batting or stuffing of some sort
- You can hand sew, glue, use the sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Needle or glue if sewing by hand or gluing
- Self adhesive magnet optional
Step 2: The Sewing Packet
I think by looking at the pictures you can see how I made it.
I wanted it to fit inside the Altoids box.
- Cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the inside of the box.
- Cut 2 of the fabric with pinking sheers if you have them slightly larger than the cardboard but not much.
- Cut 1 flap
- Cut the batting slightly smaller than the fabric.
- Place 1 fabric piece wrong side face up.
- Center the cardboard over that.
- Center the batting over the cardboard.
- Place the remaining fabric over the batting right side up.
- Make sure they all line up.
- Sew all around 3 sides leaving the top (not sewn)
- Place the flap at the top of the fabric right side up.
- Sew all layers across the top.
- Center a button on the flap and sew or glue it into place. Optional
Step 3: Magnet
- Add a self adhesive magnet to the back of the Altoids tin to find a lost pin or needle.
Step 4: Place the Contents in the Altoids Tin
Place the contents in the Altoids tin:
Step 5: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
I am excited that I finally made this kit. I have wanted to make one for sometime. I am very happy with the way I put it together. This will make it much easier because now I have a place to keep my thread and scissors separate from my project. I forgot to make pockets for my sewing bag. This was quick and easy to make and works out great! I even have a simple way to find a lost needle now.
Thanks for stopping by and please do stop in again. I have a lot more projects that I am working on and will be posting them very soon.
Have a splendorous day!