Intro: Etch a Logo Into a Knife Blade in 5 Min !
Ahoi and welcome
The following instructable will show you how to etch a knife blade or metal in general.
As always, you can find a detailed instructional video at the end of the instructable!
Step 1: Tools and Material
- Dremel tool ( + cutting wheel and brass brush polishing wheel )
- sharp knife or laser engraving machine ( for the stencil )
- Knife or blade
- masking tape or something similar for the stencil
- Power-supply or batteries ( 4.5 to 6V will do)
- Resitor(s) 15 Ohm in total, 1W ( to limit the current )
- 2 Alligator clips
- Bit of wire
- Few grains of salt ( literally, 5 grains will do )
- Old fork ( or bent metal strip )
Step 2: The Steps
1. Cut the fork as shown in the video, and try to even out the remaining piece. You need as much
surface as possible, does not have to be 100% flat though.
2. Drill a hole into the neck of the fork, between "face" and grip", and attach a piece of wire plus resistor.
3. Get your stencil ready. If you do not own a laser-engraver or plotter, use strong but not too
4. Put the stencil on the blade and tape off the rest of the blade
5. Attach the negative lead of the power supply or batteries (taped in series or in a battery holder) to the wire.
6. Alligator-clip the PSU / batteries to the fork, and attach the + wire to the tip of the blade (don't scratch it).
7. Dissolve the salt in a couple of drops of water ( or use table water ), and pour 3 drops on your stencil.
8. Plug in your PSU and start moving the fork over the stencil, apply a bit of pressure to it while doing so.
9. After 2 min, you should see a black layer. Peel of the stencil and brass-brush off the black layer.
10. Finishing step: Tooth paste to polish the blade, AND its done :)
Step 3: Instructional Video
When I make a video, I make it WHILE doing what I do, nothing faked, nothing edited.
So good luck and have fun!