No jars in the fridge or pantry?
Express pickles use only 3 INGREDIENTS - Cucumbers, salt and caster sugar
You can build onto the recipe by adding your own ingredients such as chili, dill, coriander etc.
This project was inspired by Jessyratfink's Quick Pickled Vegetables Instructable and The Oakland Toy Lab's Instant Pickles Instructable
In their brilliant Instructable The Oakland Toy Lab use negative pressure to break down cell walls thereby allowing the brine to seep in and flavour the pickle. By just adding sugar and salt and using the cucumbers natural water content you can create similarly flavoured and textured pickles. This quick Instructable shows you how...
Step 1: Gather Your Stuff
- 3 small cucumbers
- A heaped dessert spoon of caster (superfine) sugar
- About 1 teaspoon of salt
- Small bowl
- Sharp knife
Step 2: Cucumbers
- Thinly slice the cucumbers
Step 3: Salt
- Add about a teaspoon of salt to cucumbers
Step 4: Sugar
- Add a heaped dessert spoon of caster sugar to the cucumbers and salt
Step 5: Stir
- Stir the ingredients together
Step 6: Osmosis
- Watch the water leach out of the cucumbers and create a brine to flavour your pickles
- After 15 minutes your pickles should be ready