Introduction: Eyeball Caprese Salad
Makes a 24 eyeball caprese salad
3 Roma tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick slices
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, “bite-sized” balls,1/4-inch thick slices
20 leaves fresh basil
12 Green olives with pimento, thinly sliced across the pimento
Balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp.
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, 2 tbs.
Coarse salt and pepper
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Chiffonade the Basil
Prep time: 15 mins
1) Make a chiffonade from half of the basil leaves by stacking the leaves and rolling them lengthwise and slicing them thinly.
Step 2: Slice the Ingredients
2) Prepare the tomatoes, olives, and mozzarella by slicing into 1/4-inch slices
Step 3: Naked Eyeballs
3) For each eyeball:
1) lay a slice of tomato down
2) cover with some basil leaf chiffonade “eyelashes”
3) place a layer of mozzarella
4) next layer is a green olive with pimento pupil
5) combine olive oil, balsamic, and paprika and drizzle over the eyes
Step 4: Finishing Touches
6) layer half a basil leaf over the top to make an eyelid
7) salt and pepper to taste
Step 5: Voila! Here's Looking at You Kid
4) Plate it up and you are done.
When covering with plastic wrap for later use, be careful or the eyelids will slide off!
Participated in the
Halloween Food Contest