Something simple and refreshing to balance out all that Halloween sugar!
- tomatoes (I think Roma tomatoes are the perfect size.)
- fresh basil
- ciliegine (tiny mozarella balls)
- black olives
- drinking straw
- cooking knife
Step 1: Wash and Cut
1) Wash and slice tomatoes
2) Slice mozzarella balls in halves. This will create a flat surface on one side for the mozzarella to rest. It will also create the added effect of a bulging eyeball!
3) Slice olives into halves.
Step 2: Making Pupils
1) Rest each cut piece of mozzarella with the flat side down.
2) Take a drinking straw and gently insert into the middle of the cheese to create a hole for the pupil.
3) Do the same for the black olives to create the pupils.
4) Gently insert each piece of black olive into the cheese.
Step 3: Layer It Up!
1) Select the appropriately sized basil leaves
2) Lay them as you like on a plate or serving platter.
3) Layer the tomatoes, mozzarella and olives on top.
4) Lightly drizzle with your favorite balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
And you're done! Hope you enjoy.