"FOREVER CUPCAKES" are so much fun to make - perfect for those who love to make fiddly things.
Use them as novelty table decorations or as tempting gifts for family and friends.
Step 1: MATERIALS NEEDED
To make a selection of cupcakes you need a variety of silicon flower and lace molds, silicon cupcake cases, various tools, lightweight flexible paper clay, baking paper, icing roller and ring cutter as shown in the photos along with some plaster of Paris and a non stick dome (curved based) patty tin.
You will also need a selection of acrylic paints and brushes.
Step 2: CUPCAKE CASE
- First line several silicon cupcake case with a thin, even layer of paper clay, pressing it into the grooves and the base and keeping the top edges even.
- Leave in the silicone case and allow to dry.
- To create the inside grooves, carefully press another silicone case inside and gently press together.
Step 3: MAKING THE 'CAKE'
- Make up a mix of plaster of Paris with water and spoon carefully into the paper cases (still sitting in the silicone case) leaving space at the top as shown.
- Gently tap onto the table to get a level surface.
Step 4: CREATING THE DOME
- Measure the top diameter of the 'cake' and use this to guide you for the dome diameter so they will match.
- Pore an even measure of the plaster of Paris into the cavities of a non stick dome (curved based) patty tin.
- This creates the curved top of the 'cup cake'.
- Allow to dry and remove from the patty tin.
Step 5: MATCHING THE DOME SIZE
Check that it matches the size of the bottom part of the cupcake.
Step 6: MAKING THE ICING TOP
- Using the paper clay, create some icing toppings by filling flower molds - shown here with a hydrangea mold.
- It is important to dry this over a curved surface the same shape as the plaster mold.
- You can also roll out a piece of paper clay on baking paper and cut a circle to fit over the 'cake' and dry in the same way.
- By placing cling wrap over the dry plaster dome you can dry it on top of that to create the right shape.
Step 7: READY TO PAINT
Using your choice of acrylic paints you are now ready to paint the cupcakes.
Step 8: PAINTING THE CUPCAKE
- Paint the cake papers first and allow to dry.
- Paint the plaster of Paris dome either chocolate or vanilla to create the 'cake'.
- Attach dome to the top of the 'cake' by making up a slip of the plaster of Paris as a glue.
- Now you can add your painted icing and decorations with PVA or tacky glue.
Step 9: HAVE FUN CREATING!
- The tiny pearls were made with balls of paper clay which have been painted with a pearl paint - a fun and very fiddly challenge!
Have fun creating a variety of designs using the paper clay in your choice of icing molds.