Need a quick and delicious dessert for a Halloween party or fall get together? A cookie cake is the perfect option, with several choices for design as well as serving sizes. The cake, a perfect mixture of sweet and crispy, is quick and simple to make! If you are looking for something a bit more festive to add to the fall season, you may consider adding fall colors to the traditional cookie and frosting them with buttercream frosting.
Step 1: Ingredients
You will need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Packed brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Large Eggs
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip cookies
- 2 Bowls
- 9 Inch Circular Cake Pan
If you are interested in also adding buttercream frosting to your cookies, you will need:
- Unsalted Butter
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Food coloring
- Several bowls depending on how many colors you are using
- Piping Tips
- Plastic Ziplock Bags
Step 2: Making the Cookie Batter
Preheat the oven to 375 °C
1. First mix your dry ingredients into a small bowl.
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
2. In a separate large bowl, mix the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix these ingredients on low speed until they form a creamy batter. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixtures, waiting to add more of the dry ingredients each time until it is thoroughly mixed into the batter. Add 2 eggs, one at a time and make sure the batter is well mixed after adding each egg. Finally, add 2 cups of chocolate chips and wait until they are well mixed into the batter.
Step 3: Add Batter to Pan and Bake
1. Butter the bottom and sides of the 9 inch circular pan to make sure the batter doesn't stick.
2. Evenly spread the batter throughout the pan, making sure that the surface is relatively level.
3. Place the pan in the oven and set a timer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 4: Buttercream Frosting
1. Attain a mixer with a large bowl and beat 1 cup of butter until soft at low speed. If the butter is not soft before hand, you might want to melt the butter a little bit to make the butter easier to soften.
2. In a different bowl, measure out 3 cups of powdered sugar.
3. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the softened butter until the sugar is thoroughly mixed into the mixture.
4. Slowly add approximately 2.5 tablespoons of heavy cream to the mixture and continue to mix.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
6. Remove three different portions of the buttercream and place them in three different bowls. Mix whatever food coloring choices you want into the buttercream and mix thoroughly.
Step 5: Frosting the Cookie
1. After removing the cookie cake from the oven, let it cool for about 2-5 minutes on a cooling rack.
2. Once cooled, slice the cake into slivers or bars depending on your preference.
3. Get the piping tip you want to use and place it in the bottom corner of a ziplock bag, puncturing the corner.
4. Fold the edges of the bag outward in order to have easier access to the bottom of the bag. Place a generous amount of frosting into each bag and twist until all of the air is removed from the bag.
5. Add any patterns you desire onto the surface of the cookie cake, making sure beforehand that it is sufficiently cooled.
Step 6: Enjoy!
Take a moment to appreciate your delicious cookie cake before digging in!