This is a way to take to summer in a fun way. It is fun for the whole family. It requires little effort and imagination for the dough. Some of the steps require a little time that you don't want to rush or the pie will not turn out the way you want. You will need to buy dough to save time or you can make your own dough. I know time is important to many people when baking, so I made the recipe as simple but delicious as possible. This pie turned out very delicious and is made to last awhile and is good even after microwaving it.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Ingredients and Tips
The ingredients you will need are simple to get and easy to bake with. You will need,
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 Apples
You will need these ingredients for the filling, but you will also need some dough, but I am leaving that up to you because of the variety of time people want to spend on the dough. You could also save some money just buying pre-made dough. While following the instructions I would recommend letting your dough sit out about 15 minutes before you handle the dough or it will split or crumble.
Step 2: Dough and Forming
After letting the dough set out for 15 to 20 minutes, form the dough in the 9' pie plate and make notches in the the outer ring of the dough for decoration. If you want to add some brownness to the the dough, spread melted butter onto the dough before baking.
I will let you decide want type of dough you want to do just for the amount of time dough takes. But if you want to make some dough I will include directions and and a recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Like everything else I am trying to make everything as simple as I can but as delicious as any other pie. Family friendly activities are always fun to do.
Step 3: The Pie Filling
For the filling you will be using most of the ingredients. I would recommend preparing and setting aside all the ingredients and measured just so you don't have to keep looking back at the ingredient list. I would also add 25% to the dough recipe if you don't thing your going to have enough.
- The first part of the fun is to fill the large sauce pan with sugar, cornstarch, salt, water and, if desired, cinnamon; whisk the ingredients then add blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Gently fold raspberries, strawberries and lemon juice into blueberry mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate; Add filling.
- With the rest of the dough form a part of it around a whole apple. Then for the boat, cube another apple and form the dough around it. You can add as many boats as you would like with the rest of the apple. For the legs of the Kraken, cut the remaining dough into rectangles, then cut a curve left or right. Repeat until no dough is left or until you are satisfied.
- Cook pie for 10 minutes on 400°, Then reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Now I know some people will want to know how much this pie will make them gain so I will supply some nutrition facts.
- 1 piece: 510 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Step 4: The Finished Project
Over all the Kraken pie is a fun family project that can turn out in different ways. Anything is possible when you just stand back and think. If you think this is to much, I would just recommend any easier dough. The dough in a pie is the hardest thing.
If you want to have a challenge you can make your own whipped cream with the following ingredients and directions.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Before you follow the directions you will want to freeze the cream and the whisk for about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
I hope you enjoy the pie and the activity.Thank You
-Cooking and baking is both physical and mental therapy.;Mary Berry
Participated in the