Intro: Famous Katla Kalia | Bengali Fish Curry | Macher Kalia Recipe | Catla Fish Curry
Katla Kalia is a famous Bengali fish curry recipe from the state of West Bengal. It uses Katla i.e. Catla fish i.e. Bengal carp. It is little bit spicy but at the same time very delicious. Please feel free to adjust the spices as per your taste.
Step 1: Ingredients
Katla Fish i.e. Catla fish i.e. Bengal Carp 4 (400 grams)
For Paste ***** One Onion small sized
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 3-4 pods *****
Onion - 2 small sized
Green chilli - 2-3 chopped
Turmeric powder 2 tsp
Curd 1/2 cup
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Fresh Coriander leaves handful
Bay Leaves 1-2 medium sized
Garam Masala powder 2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick 1 small
Salt as per taste
Step 2: Recipe Steps
- First wash your fish pieces and pat dry.
- Take some salt, turmeric powder, chili powder* sprinkle it over.
Note: Use Kashmiri red chili powder to enhance the color. you can also use red paprika or red chili powder that means Degi Mirch
- Give it a good mix but do it gently to and ensure that fish pieces doesn't break. Add some oil.
- After coating the fish pieces keep them aside to marinate for 30 minutes. In the meantime assemble all the ingredients which we are going to use in the recipe.
- First we'll take this small size onion and garlic pods and ginger as well as chilli and grind it to a fine paste. After grinding keep it aside for further usage.
- Take a pan and add some oil into it and let it heat on medium heat once heated, slowly put the marinated fish pieces into it. Let them fry for few minutes i.e. 3 to 4 minutes or when you see that fish.pieces from the side start changing the color then flip the fish pieces.
Note: If needed you can use two ladle to flip the fish pieces or use one spoon with a ladle so that you don't break the fish pieces while flipping.
- After flipping the fish pieces let them cook for three to four minutes more or till the sides change color further now switch off the flame and take out the fish pieces leaving the oil behind.
- Take some fresh oil in the same pan you can also use the same oil.
- Once hot, add all the whole spices that means cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds and cloves.and let it cook for one minute or when it start releasing the aroma. Add chopped onions also add all the powdered spices that means turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt.
Note: Remember you have also added salt while marinating so make sure that you are adding it as per your taste
- Give it a good mix after mixing let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes or till oil start separating. Now add curd mix it well let it simmer for around five to six minutes on medium heat add water. mix well.
- After mixing bring it to boil. Add fish pieces.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Open the pan and add garam masala as well as curry leaves into it.and let it cook for a minute. Switch off the flame and will transfer to the serving dish.
Step 3: Serving
- Our spicy but by delicious Katla Kalia Bengali fish curry ready to eat serve it hot with steamed rice.
- If you like the recipe then please do like our Bengali fish curry video and also please share it.
For Easy Audio and Video instructions along with subtitles please watch,