Intro: Farinata (Chickpea Flatbread)
~*~ FARINATA ~*~
Serves: 4 ⎟Time: 45 minutes (plus 2 hours for proving)
Rarely are gluten-free foods inexpensive, versatile, and easy to make. This recipe is all three. Traditional farinata, as presented here, is wonderful, but you can really get creative with it. Add in onions, spinach, or mushrooms. Top it with grated cheese, a fried egg, or salad. Use it as your pizza dough or quesadilla tortilla. You can even experiment with sweeteners! Best of all it’s healthy, both high in fiber and protein.
1 cup chickpea flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Step 1: MAKE THE BATTER
Put the chickpea flour in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup lukewarm water, whisking to eliminate lumps until completely smoother (you can use an immersion or regular blender).
Step 2: REST THE BATTER
Cover with a plate and let sit for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450F. Put a well-seasoned or nonstick 12-inch pizza pan or cast-iron skillet in oven.
Step 3: REMOVE THE FOAM
- Using a spoon or a ladle, skim off the foam at the surface.
Step 4: ADD INS
Using a whisk or blender, add in 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- At this point, you can add any other ingredients you want. Some popular options are 2 teaspoons rosemary, 1 teaspoon cumin, or 1/4 cup chopped sun-sundries tomatoes.
Step 5: BAKE THE PANCAKE
Remove the skillet from the oven.
Pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil, swirling the pan around to coat the bottom.
Pour the batter into the pan and swirl around to coat.
- Carefully place it back into the oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the pancake is firm and the edges set.
Step 6: BROWN THE PANCAKE
Heat the broiler and brush the top of the pancake with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry.
Set the pancake a few inches away from the broiler, and cook just long enough to brown it in spots.
Step 7: SERVE
Use a spatula to transfer the farinata to a plate.
- Cut it into wedges, and serve hot or warm.
Step 8: STORE
- Wrap farinata in aluminum foil in the fridge for 1 week.
- Re-toast in the oven.