- Optional: you can wear gloves to prevent your hands from getting cornstarch on them.
- Grab a friend to help you with this project!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
For this fun project, you'll need:
- 1 Small Balloon
- 1 Funnel (Make sure funnel is NOT rubber.)
- 1 Cup of Cornstarch
- 1 Pair of Scissors
- 1 Permanent Marker
- 1 Small Measuring Cup
- 1 Pair of Gloves (optional)
Step 2: Blow Up Balloon
- Blow up the balloon until it is 4-5 inches around. It should be a little bit bigger than your fist.
- Do not tie it, but keep it inflated the best you can.
Step 3: Pinch the Balloon Closed
- Pinch the balloon closed, leaving enough room for the funnel to be inserted.
Step 4: Insert the Funnel
- Keeping the balloon pinched closed, insert the funnel inside of the balloon.
(DO NOT WORRY IF THE BALOON DEFLATES DURING THIS STEP!!)
Step 5: Fill With Cornstarch
- Using the funnel and measuring cup, begin filling the balloon with cornstarch.
- Only add SMALL amounts of cornstarch to avoid a clogged funnel.
- Be sure to keep the neck of the balloon pinched around the funnel.
Step 6: Release Pinched Fingers
- SLOWLY release your pinched fingers so the cornstarch can slide in the balloon.
- Do NOT let go of the balloon and release your fingers completely.
Step 7: Finish Filling the Balloon
- Continue adding cornstarch to the balloon until it is filled about 3 inches.
- Adding small amounts of cornstarch, swirl the cornstarch around with your finger to work it into the base of the funnel and into the balloon.
- (If you don't want to use your finger, a pen or other thin object will do just fine.)
Step 8: Squeeze Out Air
- Pinch out any excess air inside the balloon by pulling tightly on the opening of the balloon.
- It is important to eliminate any excess air that is inside the balloon in order to have an effective stress ball.
Step 9: Tie It Closed
- Tie the balloon closed, as close to the cornstarch a possible.
Step 10: Cut Off Excess
- Use your scissors to cut off the excess part of the balloon
- Important: do not cut too close to the knot of the balloon
Step 11: Decorate
- Using your permanent marker, decorate your stress ball any way you would like.