First, I must truly thank Instructables and Lumi for this awesome chance to try out such a cool product! I can see way too many uses for it :)
I'm sure everyone has a song or two in their heads and I'm even willing to bet there are a few lines that you never, ever forget. 11 Years ago I was in Mexico on my honeymoon and we met another couple there. The guy told me he was the singer in a band and I thought that was cool but we never really talked much about it afterwards. When I got home, I checked in on the band and when I heard the lead singer I thought "That's Zach?!! Holy crap he's good!". I immediately bought the CD.
So, things you need for this setup:
- Linux Mint OS (http://www.linuxmint.com/, free) (just because :)
- Relevant Band image, in this case the band is Slow Earth (http://www.slowearth.com)
- Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/, free)
- I've linked the Gimp XCF for this project as well.
- One Lumi Kit ( http://lumi.co/, free with promo event, $29.95 otherwise)
- T-shirt (or any other cloth surface really. I got 3 T-shirts for $3ea from http://english.11st.co.kr/html/en/main.html)
- Sunshine (outside, free)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Gimp Process
Gimp is pretty awesome and with the tons of tutorials online, doing anything becomes easy enough.
First you crop the image to the ink-film size (in this case, 216X216). This particular image is taller so it's not as wide. Then I changed the image mode to Greyscale, then inverted the colours and voila, instant negative.
Adding the text was easy but when you have an image that goes from dark to light in a horizontal fashion, your lettering will give you a headache. I found a way to simply make another layer that is a copy of the text layer, then 'grow' it a few pixels in white. This gives a nice outline to the font and lets your words stick out from the gradient background.
Here are the links to the source files:
Gimp's XCF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogclklu6u29kypa/scream.xcf
Step 2: Using the Sun
Despite it being an overcast day, I did see the sun poking it's head out in bits and pieces. I quick search on Lumi's website to verify that it's actually UV light that does the 'dyeing' process, I was ok with a cloudy day. Yes, those warnings of 'sunscreen on cloudy days' do have weight to them. The dye changed colour almost as fast as I was putting it on! Lesson learned, prep your stuff INSIDE before heading outside if you want a clean difference.
So there it is, with the printed sheet over the t-shirt. This was taken within 5mins of it being setup. The colour changes pretty quickly when exposed.
Step 3: The Finished Product
This one turned out much better than my first attempt with a too-dark logo. I'm pretty happy with it. And the 'messy' borders give it that casual look. Maybe the next one I'll look at making straight borders instead.
I haven't washed the shirt yet, so I expect some of the colour to washout a bit.
Also, make sure that you use cardboard with no printing on it! As the ink soaked through and while not visible in the pic, there is some faint lettering that got absorbed by the wet dye onto the shirt.
Attached you'll see the pre and after hand-wash look. I hand-washed the shirt twice, in hot water with the supplied detergent.
Thank you ever so much Instructables and Lumi! I have learned a lot!
Participated in the
Print & Dye Contest