It syncs with Intel's IoT Analytic cloud to store data for later analysis. It also connects with our local web-app 'Hydr8 Connect'. Hydr8 connect allows for users to monitor their hydration habits. Hydr8 is also capable of tying into myFitnessPal's API, however, myFitnessPal's API has not yet been updated to include water consumption / nutrition info. Benefits Promotes cardiovascular healthKeeps you coolHelps muscles and joints work the way they shouldHelps your skinStack Python on Intel Edison for reading data and POSTing to various APIsNodeJS REST API & ServerZurb Foundation Templating
Promotes cardiovascular healthKeeps you coolHelps muscles and joints work the way they shouldHelps your skin
Python on Intel Edison for reading data and POSTing to various APIsNodeJS REST API & ServerZurb Foundation Templating
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: How It Works
Hydr8 uses a liquid level sensor to track your consumption. This liquid level sensor is calibrated to provide the amount of liquid currently present in the container that houses the sensor. This data is then posted into the Intel IoT analytics platform where it will be collected over time. This data is then pulled into our web application and analyzed
Step 2: Setup
- Have the following:
- 1x Intel Edison Board
- 1x Liquid Level Sensor
- 2x long bottles
- 1x Hot glue gun
- Some jumper cables
Step 3: Setup Edison
- Update the Edison board to the latest firmware.
- Once this is done set it up to connect to the internet. A guide to do this can be found here: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23147
- After it is connected to the internet install Python with the Edison's package manager. This is a simple guide on the matter: http://blogs.bu.edu/mhirsch/2014/11/installing-pyt...
Also for additional help see:
Step 4: Setup Intel Analytics
We will now setup the cloud processing so we can save/access our data
- Register for intel analytics platform here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/530659
- Once there create a project and with the project information edit the script from the repo. You should change the api keys and user.
Step 5: Setup Sensor
We will proceed now to setup the liquid level sensor
- Now, the sensor has to be removed from whatever packaging it comes in. Make sure that you do not remove the final teflon wrapping as you will damage the sensor.
- After this is done, cut the 2 bottles that you bought and glue them together to make one large bottle that the sensor will fit into.
- Then glue or tape the sensor into the side of the bottle.
- Now connect the sensor as the data-sheet says: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1786If it is not connected as the data-sheet says, it will return erroneous values.
- Once this is done attach some jumper cables and hook it into the gpio that the script is programmed to listen to.
Step 6: Setup Web Application
Now in the repository, clone the Node.js app and simply run it with node bin/www
Step 7: Future Work
Responsible Alcohol Consumption
Calorie tracker for other beverages
More comprehensive hydration analytics