Intro: Felt Basket
Instructable for a felt basket where you can store your stuff in.
Step 1: Supplies
- Crochet yarn
- Sewing thread
- Paper clips
- Stanley knife
- Felt: 30 X 30 cm and thickness 2 mm
Step 2: Measuring Distance
- (Take the ruler and place it on the felt).
- Mark 4 dots at 9 cm from their nearest sides.
Step 3: Draw Lines
- Connect the 4 dots by tracing 4 straight pencil lines (two horizontal and two vertical).
- Clearly indicate on thet dots where the two lines intersect.
Step 4: Make a Diagonal Cut
- Use the Stanley knife to make a diagonal cut from the dot.
- (Where two lines intersect) to the corner of the felt mat.
- Do this for all 4 corners.
Step 5: Fold Edges
Fold the edges back to give the basket a better shape.
Step 6: Opposite Corners
- Pin together the two opposite corners with a paper clip.
- Make sure that the top edge of both corners makes a straight line.
Step 7: Positioning Corners With a Paper Clip
The paper clip will prevent the corners from moving while connecting the corners on the opposite side.
Step 8: Fix the Inner Corners
- Make sure that the top of the inner corners makes a straight line.
- Pin together both corners by using two pins on each side.
Step 9: Remove Paper Clips
Remove the paper clips.
Step 10: Supplies for the Sewing of the Inside Corners
- Cut off a piece of 30 cm thread.
- Better too long than too short.
Step 11: Needle and Thread
Pass the thread through the eye of the needle.
Step 12: Make a Knot
Tie a knot at the end of the wire.
Step 13: Sew the Two Corners Together
- Sew the two corners together with a straight stich.
- Start at the corner and on the outside.
Step 14: Make a Knot
- When you have reached the end, tie a knot and make sure that the knot is on the outside.
- In a later step, the two outer pieces will cover the knots.
Step 15: Thread Cutting + Repeat
Cut the thread and repeat the steps in step 10 on the other side.
Step 16: Positioning the Remaining Sides
Attach the outer sides to the inner circle with a paper clip.
Step 17: Fix the Remaining Corners With Paper Clips
- Pin the remaining corners to the circle with a paper clip.
- Do this on both sides.
- Now you can adjust the opposite sides to make the edges fit nicely together.
- Make sure there is no space between the inside and the outside.
Step 18: Pin the Outher Sides
- When all the edges fit nicely to one another, stick a pin through the outer side and the already sewn corner of the inside.
- Do the same on the opposite side.
Step 19: Crossed Corners
- Then insert a straight pin through the corners of the outer sides.
- Insert the pins vertically and in the middle where the two corners cross each other.
- Draw a pencil line on the left-hand side of the pin (approximately 2 mm).
- This will make a space of about 4 mm.
Step 20: Cut the Corner
- Cut off the corner on the line.
- Save this corner for the next step.
Step 21: Cut the Second Corner
- Use the saved corner to draw a line on the opposite corner.
- Cut out this corner on the line.
Step 22: Positioning the Lose Ends
- Pin back the two loose ends with a paper clip.
- Adjust until the upper edges make a straight line.
- It may happen that the cut ends do not have the same length or are not making a straight line. This can be solved by trimming the edges.
- But beware: the more you cut away, the bigger the space between the ends!
Step 23: Mark Dots
Mark 4 dots on the felt.
Step 24: The Connection
- You can use crochet yarn for the connection.
- If you don’t have crochet yarn, you can double fould the thread and make the cross stitch twice.
Step 25: Sew the Connection 1
Push the needle through the back of the felt.
Step 26: Sew the Connection 2
Insert the needle now diagonally in the front of the other end.
Step 27: Sew the Connection 3
Insert the needle on the same side in the remaining dot from the back of the felt.
Step 28: Sew the Connection 4
Insert the needle at the front of the remaining point.
Step 29: Sew the Connection 5
Pull the thread through the inside of the basket.
Step 30: Sew the Connection 6
- Then insert the needle at approximately the same height from the inside to the outside.
- Make sure you go through one layer of felt.
Step 31: Sew the Connection 7
- The wire must be located between the two layers of felt.
- This should not be visible between the ends.
Step 32: Sew the Connection 8
Make a knot.
Step 33: Repeat
Repeat step 23 to connect the other side.
Step 34: Finished!
The felt basket is finished. Now you can use it for many purposes, for example as a pencil box.