The southern part of India is covered by sea on all sides and we get a regular supply of sea food in most of the season. Snakehead Murrel fish, also known as Channa Striata, is one variety of costly fishes which most people are fond of. This variety of fish does not have very slender and sharp fish bones which struck in children's throats.
In this instructable I will explain how to make Fish curry with Snakehead Murrel fish
Step 1: Clean and Separate Pieces
- We bought 2 fishes weighing about one kilogram. The shopkeepers clean and cut the fish into pieces for us.
- I have separated the fish pieces into two, one containing the heads and tails and the other portion with pieces from middle section.
- The head and tail pieces will be used for making fish curry and the pieces from middle portion will be used for making fish fry.
Step 2: Marinate the Fish Pieces
Here I have taken the head and tail sections of the fish for making fish curry.
- Take the pieces in a bowl and add little amounts of salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and a tablespoon of Sesame oil.
- Mix well and marinate the fish pieces for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You can prepare other required ingredients while fish pieces are being marinated.
Step 3: Ingredients Required
- About 50 grams of shallots (we call them as small onions)
- Few garlic cloves
- Two tomatoes
- Two to three green chillies
- A small lemon sized piece of Tamarind
- One teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
- Three teaspoons of Coriander powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of Red chilli powder
- 1-1/2 of teaspoons of Cumin seed powder mixed with turmeric powder
- A bunch of Curry leaves
- Two tablespoons of Sesame oil
- Salt to taste
Step 4: Prepare Ingredients
- Cut shallots and garlic into small pieces
- Dice Tomatoes
- Split green chillies in half
- Soak tamarind in water for about 5 minutes and extract the juice
Step 5: Preparation Step 1
- In a frying pan add sesame oil and keep over medium flame
- Once oil is heated add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves to the pan
- Add chopped shallots and garlic pieces.
- Saute over medium flame till shallots are fried to a golden brown.
Step 6: Preparation Step 2
- Now add diced tomatoes and salt to taste. Remember we have added some salt during marinating. So do not add too much salt
- Mix everything well and saute till oil oozes out from the sides
Step 7: Preparation Step 3
- Add all spice powders to the pan and mix with other ingredients
- Add the Tamarind juice and little amount of water to make it to required consistency and keep over medium flame to boil
Step 8: Preparation Step 4
- Once the mixture starts to boil add marinated fish pieces.
- Cover the pan with a lid and keep the flame medium to low.
- Fish pieces cook very quickly and disintegrate in the sauce if overcooked. So check from time to time
Step 9: Remove From Stove
- Once the fish pieces are cooked, remove the pan from the stove.
- Transfer the fish curry to a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
This spicy and tasteful fish Curry is served as one of the main courses with Rice, Chapatti and flat bread