Introduction: Fish With Tomato-coconut Curry
- 1 lb white fish, such as cod
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced fine
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Parsley for decoration
- Finely dice the onion, and sauté it in a bit of olive oil until it starts to become translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger to pan, and cook for another minute or so.
- Stir in curry powder, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and coconut milk– bring to boil, and then reduce heat and let simmer for about 3 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add fish to pan, cover, and keep simmering for about 5 minutes.
- Check on the fish, and turn them over carefully, avoiding breaking up the pieces.
- Return cover to pan if fish is not done, and check every 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with vegetables and rice and/or naan. Top with parsley if you're feeling fancy (!)
- Turmeric: May play role in preventing diseases such as cancer and Alzheimers, thanks to a component in it called curcumin
- Curry spices: May help reduce inflammation and prevent bone breakdown/ osteoporosis.
- Cod: High in Vitamin B12, iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids, for heart health. Also high in protein.
- Tomatoes: Alpha/beta carotein, lutein, lycopene: may help in reducing inflammation.
- Coconut: fatty acids for overall health, especially heart health.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Participated in the