Flavored sugars are some of the best gifts you could give to a foodie. They are versatile and can be used in beverages or desserts as a quick way to add flavour. Since they're quick and easy to make, they're also perfect last minute gifts! You can bottle them in old condiment jars that have been scrubbed clean and decorated with ribbons, etc. This would be a great project for kids too.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients:
- Caster Sugar (superfine sugar) - 1 cup per flavour
- For vanilla sugar: 1 vanilla bean
- For orange sugar: 1 orange
- For cinnamon sugar: 1/4-1/2 Cup (or as much you want)
Step 2: Method:
- Vanilla Sugar: Split the vanilla bean with a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds. Stir it into the sugar. Add the vanilla pod too. Pour into bottles. Tip: Every time you use vanilla beans, save the empty pods and add to the sugar.
- Orange Sugar: Grate the zest of one orange into the sugar. Mix well till combined. Pour into bottles.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Mix the cinnamon powder into the sugar till well combined. Pour into bottles.
These sugars will last for a long time if stored in a cool, dark place. You can make other flavours too, like lime, paprika, rosemary, etc.
Participated in the
Homemade Gifts Contest 2015