Things you will need:
- Sewing Machine
- Fleece ( at least 1yd)
- Measuring tape (or ruler)
- Sewing pins
- Black permanent marker
- Sewing needle (for a little hand sewing)
- Straight edge (cutting board, ruler, or a straight piece of paper)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Measurements
- Measure around your head (over your ears), I am about 24", I gave myself some stitching room.
- Then think about how wide you want your head band, I wanted about 3.5" so I went 4" to give myself sewing room.
- Outline the rectangle, try to make it as straight as possible (the straight edge would be handy here)
- Make a second rectangle (I cut one out and traced it.)
- Cut the rectangles out!
Step 2: Pin It, Stitch It.
- Make sure the pieces are lined up on top one another.
- Sew down each of the long sides.
- Turn it inside out
- You can hand sew the inside or try to sew it with a sewing machine (or what ever technique you know) I Wiggled the piece under the machine and sewed as much as I could and hand stitched the rest.
- The headband itself is done!
Step 3: Optional: Flower
I make a flower to go on my head band but there are SO MANY different things you can do!
- Make a cut out that looks like a flower petal ( I just go creative)
- Trace anywhere from 3 petals and up (for the headband i actually did 6 petals, you can do more to make it look more full)
- Knot the end of the thread well then make a running stitch through each petal and pull them together so that they ruffle.
- to make the center bud just cut out a small circle about the size of a quarter and do a running stitch all the way around it and pull it so it makes a puff ball.
- stitch the bud into the center of the flower then onto the hat! done!
Step 4: Finished Product / Other Options!
you can tack on anything to the headband, rosette, bow, or any cute cut out you can think of!